Thursday, February 9, 2012

Thankful Thursday - Brockton Public Library

Without the Brockton Public Library, I would not have been able to get as far as I have with my research. From day one to the present, the library and its many resources have been incredibly helpful. I've been able to search through old newspapers and have made various discoveries such as the wedding date of my great-grandparents, the discovery that my grandfather had two other children, and that my great-great grandfather, James R. McRae, died at the breakfast table.

The Brockton Poll Taxes kept in the historical room have helped me in figuring out the general timeframe of when my great-grandmother, Maude McRae, was committed. They've also revealed some more locations various ancestors of mine lived and the occupations they held.

The death records the library maintains have helped me in figuring out the death dates of several ancestors and have provided very useful information such as parents' names, occupations, etc.

They also hold record books of the Poor Department and I was able to find information on my great-grandfather, James R. McRae, and his son, Ben, in them.

I just want to say "Thank you, Brockton Public Library". I wouldn't have made it this far without you.

No comments:

Post a Comment